28 September 2008

Old Singapore Quiz (3)


1. What is the address of this building? (Provide the number, road name and postal district.)

2. When was it built?

3. Who was its occupant (up till the early 1990s)?

4. Who is its current occupant?

5. When did the current occupant move in?

Note: I have "painted over" the square signboard above the main entrance to the building as I recently discovered that Icemoon has an uncanny ability to read very small signs. Now I hope that he can't read the plaques hanging in the corridor of the ground floor.

Update on 1 Oct 2008 - Answers to Old Singapore Quiz (3):

YG provided the most complete and correct answers in my blog. He got 4 out of 5 answers correct. His answer "1976" for when the building was built was incorrect. Before I give you the answers to the quiz, let's look at other photos I took of this building.




This is the unmistakable old gate of Institute of Dental Health (IDH) - the letters "IDH" appear 20 times on this gate. It is a good thing that the old gate was retained.

1. What is the address of this building? (Provide the number, road name and postal district.)
Ans: 10, Hyderabad Road (off Alexandra Road), Singapore 119579.

2. When was it built?
Ans: 1935.

3. Who was its occupant (up till the early 1990s)?
Ans: Institute of Dental Health.

4. Who is its current occupant?
Ans: S P Jain Center of Management

5. When did the current occupant move in?
Ans: Mar 2007.

I remember having had a few dental treatments done at the IDH in the late 1980s. It had an open concept, just like what this 1952 photo from National Archives of Singapore shows:


While waiting for my dreaded turn, I could hear the drilling sounds as well as the moans and groans coming from the patient in the adjacent chair. This only made me more nervous. No wonder I still dread going to the dentist till this day.

8 comments:

Icemoon said...

I have exhausted my bag of tricks.

Victor, I suggest you make it even more challenging next time. I realize you using Photoshop CS for the erasing. Maybe you can use the effects like etching, watercolor or even color switching to confuse the oldies. Muhahah, I can't solve I make sure others can't too.

Anonymous said...

Ok this was the British Army Officers Mess up to 1971. Then it became the Institute of Health for some years. It is located at Hyderabad Road, off Alexandra Road, near this overhead pedestrian bridge that leads from kent Ridge to Mt Faber(?).

Now some Indian MBA institute.

Anonymous said...

Sorry mistake. Should b the Institute of Mental Health.

yg said...

peter, you were referring to this building

Anonymous said...

Thanks yg. I shoudl start kicking my arse, cant' tell difference between mental and dental. Why in the world I was thinking of the brain?

yg said...

this time, i want to win the prize for the old s'pore quiz (3).

1 10 hydrebad rd s119579
2 1976
3 institute of dental health
4 sp jain center of management
5 mar 2007.

earlier i had mistaken this building for the fort canning centre at fort canning.

Victor said...

Well done, YG. But no prize leh. You got one wrong. Answer for Question 2 is 1935.

:)

Victor said...

Thanks for all your responses. I have updated the post with the answers.

Peter - Mixing up "dental" with "mental" is neither a dental or mental case but more likely to be this affliction. Haha.